Friday, August 5, 2011

Coming Home to the Rusticness...


Sunset from the plane


It’s taken two days to get from London to Alamance County, NC with a hotel stay in Raleigh.  Yesterday morning around 8:00am I had the privilege of riding the tube from Hoburn Station to Heathrow with Angela and Cassie.  
Cassie and Angela heading out the door 

It was a long ride but fortunately not too busy as we carried our heavy bags. They parted from me to go to Terminal 1 while I carried on to Terminal 3. After 14 hours of travel and a layover, my kids and husband greeted me at the Raleigh Durham airport. We went to the hotel, passed out little presents and swam in the pool.  I forced myself to participate in all these festivities until 11:00pm (4:00am London time) and managed to sleep in until 7:00am (noon London time).  It was so nice to have that time to just enjoy each others' company and get some sleep.

Now I’m home!  Ah, the American dollar, low electric current/small plugs, easy flush toilets, and strong water pressure, how nice it is to see you all again.  High fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and plummeting Dow figures?...not so happy about seeing you all.  But you have to take the good with the bad and it is so good to be home with my family.  Here are the kids enjoying some of the spoils from London:

I will miss our Bloomsbury London neighborhood with all of its Italian coffee, French pastries, and free British Museum.  I will miss being able to get around so easily with my Oyster Pass. I loved having so many theater productions right around the corner.  I can't believe I never made it to The Dr. Who ExperienceI wonder if any of my classmates ran out on our last night to see London all lit up?  We did so much in three weeks that there just wasn’t enough time to simply enjoy the view.

I am certainly enjoying the view here at home.  It is HOT but beautiful here.  The turkeys have gotten huge and are already outgrowing the coop we finished before I left.  The baby goats are growing quickly too and all the chickens looked happy to see me.  As a matter of fact, I better stop writing so that I can go out and help herd our goats and collect some eggs.  Fun London time is over now and it’s time to get back to business.  Stay tuned for my last project – The Big Photo Book.  





No comments:

Post a Comment